The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH) is a world-leading institute in global health with a particular focus on low- and middle-income countries. Associated with the University of Basel, Swiss TPH combines research, education and services at local, national and international levels. 900 people from 80 nations work at Swiss TPH focusing on infectious and non-communicable diseases, environment, society and health as well as health systems and interventions.
Within the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health (EPH), our Unit “Environmental Exposures and Health” (EEH) is focused on research related to the many environmental exposures: including air pollution, noise, airborne pollen, heatwaves, green space and electromagnetic fields.
We are looking for
2 PhD candidates in radiofrequency electromagnetic field research
Position 1 on exposure assessment: In the EU/SERI funded project ETAIN (Exposure To electromAgnetic fIelds and plaNetary health) a PhD position is offered for the sub-project aiming at developing of a citizen science co-created mobile phone application to collect radiofrequency electromagnetic fields (RF-EMF) exposure data. Together with international partners specialized in citizen science and app development, you will be responsible for coordinating the development of the app, to communicate and interact with communities of citizens interested in co-designing and using an app, to conduct RF-EMF measurements for transforming app-recorded data into meaningful exposure values and to build up an public exposure platform for interested laypeople.
Position 2 epidemiology: In the framework of the EU/SERI funded study GOLIAT (5G expOsure, causaL effects, and rIsk perception through citizen engAgemenT) a PhD study is offered for an on-going epidemiological study on the effects of RF-EMF exposure of adolescents on behaviour, symptoms and cognitive functions. The PhD student will contact schoolmasters and visit schools in Central Switzerland in order to introduce and organize the data collection. Further, the PhD student will be responsible for the data analysis in collaboration with other European children and adolescent cohorts.
The successful PhD candidate will be joining a multidisciplinary research team focusing on exposure modelling, data science, environmental epidemiology, and practical hands-on measurement studies. The PhD students will be able to collect experiences
in all aspects of complex epidemiological research including data collection, data analysis, scientific paper writing and international scientific meeting presentations. A complimentary advanced education will be offered. You will be registered in the PhD program in Epidemiology/Public Health of the University of Basel and the Graduate Campus of the Swiss School of Public Health.
Experience and skill requirements
We are looking for candidates with the following qualifications:
- Master degree level in quantitative epidemiology, natural science, data science, statistics, informatics, geography, or a similar field
- Excellent command of English (speaking and writing). For position 1 good German language skills are an asset for position 2 it is a requirement
- Good knowledge of programming, data management methods, and quantitative analytical methods (preferably R) or a strong interest in developing such skills
- Good skills in using geographic analysis systems (ArcMap, QGIS, R) is a requirement for position 1 and highly desired for position 2
- Excellent communication skills and an outgoing and open-minded attitude
- Broad interest in environment and health research
- Digitally savvy, with smartphones, apps, tablets, etc.
- Strong spirit of team work and initiative and open for collaboration across scientific fields
- Ambition to contribute to scientific progress as well as to performing societal relevant research
- Ability to work independently and good organizational skills
Please submit your application online via the link provided below
We look forward to receiving your online application (in English) with:
- Motivation letter
- Relevant certificates and diploma
- MSc course transcripts including grades
- Names and contact information (email or phone) of 2 references
Please note that we can only accept applications via our online recruiting tool: https://recruitingapp-2698.umantis.com/Jobs/All Applications via e-mail or external recruiter will not be considered.
There is no closing date for application, but we encourage applicants to submit their application as soon as possible. As long as the position is published on the website of Swiss TPH it is still open.
Swiss TPH is an equal-opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity.
For further information please visit the websites of our institute (https://www.swisstph.ch/en/) and –more specifically – of our unit https://www.swisstph.ch/en/about/eph/environmental-exposures-and-health/
For additional information please contact Martin.email@example.com.