The Chair of Explainable Machine Learning at the Otto-Friedrich-Universität Bamberg aims to fill, starting on the next possible date, three positions as Scientific Employee (m/f/d) with the goal of completing doctoral studies
(in full-/or part time in “Entgeltgruppe TV-L E 13”)
The positions are available for a term of 3 years initially with the potential for extension beyond
that. The research conducted in the group is focused on machine learning methods that increase the
reliability, data efficiency and generalization of neural networks in the context of a specific appli-
cation. The actual application and the benefit to the end-user or patient are the main focus of the research. and thus the transparent, human-centered communication of quantifiable results including uncertainty estimates are critical.
• Support of Research & Teaching efforts of the research lab (based on the ERBA campus)
• Independent, self-sufficient research of a specific research topic
• Presentation of research results at national and international conference
• Completed University degree (Masters level) with focus: machine learning, pattern recog-
nition, image/signal processing, applied mathematics, statistics or comparable
• Fluent in established programming language (e.g. Python, C++)
• Ability to work in a highly analytical, structured and autonomous fashion
• Proficiency in English is required. Basic knowledge of German is helpful but not required.
The Otto-Friedrich-University Bamberg aims to increase the ratio of women in research and teaching and thus asks qualified women explicitly to apply. Applicants with disability (m/f/d) will have preference at otherwise equal qualification.
The Otto-Friedrich-University Bamberg was certified as being a family friendly university by the Hertie-foundation. The university focuses in particular on the compatibility of family and career.
Please send your complete application including a brief letter of motivation, CV, transcripts, and
optionally a research project proposal, publication record and contact details of two references.
Please send your application electronically as a single pdf file to the email address mentioned below stating the earliest possible starting date.
Applications possible until 1 May 2022
Lehrstuhl für Erklärbares Maschinelles Lernen, An der Weberei 5, D-96047 Bamberg
Prof. Dr. Christian Ledig