The Excellence Cluster Cardio-Pulmonary Institute (CPI) of the Justus-Liebig University Giessen (JLU) is looking for a Ph.D. Student (m/f/d).
- Location: Giessen, Germany
- Institute: Cardio-Pulmonary Institute (CPI), Faculty of Medicine, Universities of Giessen and Marburg Lung Center (UGMLC) in Giessen, Germany ( https://www.cpi-online.de )
- Group Leaders: Prof. Dr. Norbert Weissmann and PD Dr. Natascha Sommer
- Starting date: 01 March 2022
- Type of contract: Ph.D. stipendium/ 3 years full time
- What we offer: Genuine opportunity for scientific carrier and personal development in an international environment
Activities and responsibilities
Briefly, bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD) is a chronic lung disease of premature infants, which is promoted, among other factors like infections, genetic predisposition, and inflammation by oxygen supplementation and/or mechanical ventilation. BPD is associated with high mortality, and survivors might suffer from aftereffects like airway obstruction. Treatment with oxygen supplementation is necessary to support the life of premature infants. However, high concentration and prolonged supplementation of oxygen become toxic and prevent proper lung development, increasing the predisposition to develop childhood asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in adulthood.
The candidate will investigate novel potential therapeutic interventions to prevent oxygen toxicity and long-term morbidities in animal models.
- Master’s degree in biotechnology, biology, veterinary medicine, or a comparable field is mandatory.
- Previous laboratory experience in cell culture and molecular biology techniques is an advantage (RT-qPCR, western blot, and functional assays).
- The candidate should be highly motivated, enthused about scientific research, have good communication skills, and able to work in an international team as well as independently.
- Fluent in English.
- Previous experience in lung research and/or a Felasa B certificate is a bonus.
The candidate will work in the group of Prof. Dr. Norbert Weissmann / PD Dr. Natascha Sommer, in an international, dynamic, stimulating, and multidisciplinary environment, with access to state-of-the-art technologies in biomedical research. The trainee will have the opportunity to receive profound training in cell and molecular biology, lung physiology, and experimental animal models.
( https://www.uni-giessen.de/fbz/fb11/forschung/graduierte/mbml )
How to apply
Submit your application and supporting documents (one merged PDF file only) by email to Dr. Claudio Nardiello (email@example.com).
Your application should contain the following documents:
- A cover letter describing past projects, previous publications, career goals, and research interest (max. 1 page).
- Certificates (BSc, MSc, other degrees).
- Contact details of at least two references.
Application deadline: 13 February 2022