Each summer DESY offers undergraduate students in physics or related natural science disciplines the possibility to participate in the research activities of the laboratory at the Hamburg or Zeuthen (near Berlin) sites.
The 2022 program will take place from July 19 to September 8. An announcement poster can be found here. The program has been adapted to the special conditions due to the Covid pandemic and consists of two main parts:
1. Work projects: Selected candidates join in the day-to-day work of DESY research groups and participate in one of these activities. We plan to have
- the majority of work projects on-site,
- as well as a number of online (remote) work projects.
For the on-site projects everything must of course be conform with the Covid-19 pandemic requirements and restrictions for traveling to (following the guidelines for external users) and working at DESY. Only students who have a EU-conform vaccination will be allowed to participate. Students that are invited for on-site projects are expected to work 39 hours a week. They will receive subsistence allowance (1200 Euro per month), partial travel reimbursement and have the possibility to be accommodated in the DESY Hostel, at a reduced price. Depending on the covid pandemic situation on-site participation in any project can be cancelled at any time; for some of these projects it may be possible to convert them in such a situation into an online project. Online work projects generally require internet connections with sufficient bandwidth, for which each participating student has to take care of him/herself. The online project work is unpaid.
2. Lecture program: While the work in the groups is the main activity, there will also be a series of lectures (given in English) related to the scientific research done at DESY. We are planning to have the lectures mostly on-site plus transmitting them via zoom/webcast.
Applicants should have completed, by the summer of 2022, at least three years of full-time studies at university level in physics, related natural science disciplines or computing. Please take note that large majority of projects we offer is for physics students. The main target audiences are students who in summer 2022 are at the following two stages:
- they are about to obtain their Bachelor degree
- they have a Bachelor degree and are within their Master degree studies.
- Applicants who already obtained a master-degree or will obtain it by summer 2022 are not accepted.
- Applicants should not have previously been at DESY as a summer student
- Special condition for on-site projects: please take note that due to regulations for paid traineeships in Germany we can only accept students that are enrolled at their university for the whole period of the summerstudent programme.
Please note that all applicants should have a good working knowledge of English and some basic computing skills.
The students are expected to participate during the full period of the programme.
Please take note of the special conditions due to the COVID-19 pandemic:
For participation in on-site projects students must have, at the time of the program start (19 July 2022), an EU-conform vaccination and obey the COVID-19: official entry and quarantine regulations in Germany. They must also obey the DESY COVID-19 official entry and workplace regulations valid at this time.
If you have any questions please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.