Max Delbrück Center for Molecular Medicine (MDC) Berlin, together with its partners, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin and Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin, invites applicants for PhD positions.
Are you passionate about discovering the basis of health and disease, and applying your findings to answer clinically-relevant questions? Are you interested in one of the following topics?
- Cancer research
- Cardiovascular biology
- Cell biology
- Computational biology and data science
- Immunology and inflammation
- Mathematical modelling
- Medical systems biology
- Single cell and omics technologies
- Stem cell research and organoids
- Structural biology
To become a great scientist, one needs to develop a diverse set of competences. The MDC International PhD Program supports its PhD researchers to grow both personally and scientifically. The structured PhD program comprises a diverse community of about 350 international PhD students and provides:
- An excellent scientific, international, collaborative and inclusive learning environment
- Individualised PhD supervision and mentoring
- Advanced scientific, research-related and methods training
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure and core facilities
- Regular lectures, journal clubs and seminar series
- A structured program for personal and career development
- Participation in PhD symposia and retreats
- Travel grants for external courses and conferences
The working language of the program is English
Students may, in addition, join our MDC-NYU PhD Exchange Program in Medical Systems Biology, iNAMES – MDC-Weizmann Helmholtz International Research School for Imaging and Data Science from NAno to MESo, or become associated with the interdisciplinary HEIBRiDS Data Science School.
Berlin is one of the most vibrant cities located in the heart of Europe. In addition to great science, it provides an inclusive and diverse living environment, with an incredible offer of entertainment, cultural and recreational activities.
The MDC is situated at two locations in Berlin: the majority of infrastructure is located on Campus Berlin-Buch, a modern science and biotechnology park with a clear focus on biomedicine, while laboratories and offices of the Berlin Institute for Medical Systems Biology (MDC-BIMSB) are located on Campus Berlin-Mitte. It is a family-friendly environment that offers services to support the compatibility of work and family life, such as campus kindergarten or a fully equipped Parent-child room.
Who are we looking for?
- You are an enthusiastic student with a strong interest in life and/or data sciences
- Your degree is in biology, biotechnology, medicine, molecular medicine, chemistry, computer science, data science, engineering, mathematics, physics or a related field
- You hold or expect to obtain a Master degree not later than August 2022
We are committed to meet today’s challenges in biology and medicine and realize that excellent science requires outstanding researchers. If you aspire to be one of them – we are looking forward to receiving your application!
How to apply? Via our online recruitment portal! Applications via email can unfortunately not be accepted.
Application deadline: January 25, 2022.
Desired starting date: Starting dates are arranged on the individual basis, latest 4 months from the interviews (August 2022)
Please use our online portal and submit your application, including details about your education (university, grades), research experience, interest and motivation, CV, reference letters, as well as relevant educational and degree certificates.
After submission of your application, you will receive an automatic email confirming that your application has been received. To be eligible for review, your application must be submitted before the application deadline.
The MDC adheres to principles of responsible research, good scientific practice, openness and transparency, and is committed to setting a good example as a scientific environment where scientists can flourish and grow, independently of their national or ethnic background, functional variation, sex/gender identity/alignment/orientation, family configuration, or other such feature of their persons or contexts.The MDC is committed to diversity and actively supports equal opportunities for all employees regardless of their origin, religion, ideology, disability, age or sexual identity. Applications from women are explicitly encouraged. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification. The MDC is an equal opportunity employer and supports gender equality.